A two-day long workshop on “Comprehensive Drowning Reduction Strategy for Barisal Division” project was held on 19-20 June 2016 at Conference Room, CIPRB Headquarter, Dhaka. The workshop was jointly organized by Centre for Injury Prevention and Research, Bangladesh (CIPRB), Royal National Lifeboat Institution, UK (RNLI), and The George Institute for Global Health (TGI), Australia. A total of 23 participants from the three organizations attended the workshop. The workshop followed the methodology of paper presentation, discussion, brainstorming, and open discussion by the participants.
Recommendations from the workshop
The participants responded pro-actively in the workshop, and shared their views and opinion on different issues. The overall recommendations of the participants were as follows:
– Communication related questions should be incorporated into the research questionnaire so as to find out the level of awareness of the audiences.
– Non fatal drowning should be clearly defined.
– All types of water transport to be listed to find out water transport accident.
– The mortality and morbidity recall period should be defined.
– A standard template should be maintained while producing any communication materials.
– A steering committee can be formed with GO, NGO representatives to monitor the whole project.
– The project learning and challenges should be captured through regular documentation.
– A writing sub-committee can be formed.
Finally the name, ‘Bhasa’ (Float), proposed by Mr. Dan Ryan, Research Manager of RNLI, UK, wined majority number of participants’ votes. Ms. Rebecca Ivers, Director of TGI, Australia mentioned that the logo (including design and color) of the name would be important now to see what the name looks like. The acronym of the name also needs to be identified as well, added Ms. Helen Morton.
Mr. Steve Wills thanked all the participants. Ms. Rebecca Ivers expressed her gratitude towards the participants. Prof. AKM Fazlur Rahman, Executive Director of CIPRB thanked RNLI and TGI for their support and cooperation, and said that the discussion should keep continuing for the successful execution of the project. He then officially announced the closure of the workshop.
List of the participants
Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI), UK
- Mr. Steve Wills – Head of International Program
- Ms. Alison Gordon – Head of International Funding
- Mr. Daniel Ryan – Research Manager
- Ms. Helen Morton – Head, International Advocacy
The George Institute for Global Health (TGI), Australia.
- Ms. Rebecca Ivers -Director
- Dr. Jagnoor Jagnoor – Epidemiologist
Centre for Injury Prevention and Research, Bangladesh (CIPRB)
- Professor AKM Fazlur Rahman- Executive Director
- Dr. Aminur Rahman- Director, (IDRC-B) of CIPRB
- Dr. Saidur Rahman Mashreky -Director – Public Health and Injury Prevention
- Dr. Salim Mahmud Chowdhury- Director Training and Education
- Dr. Kamran Ul Baset – Associate Director
- Dr. Mohammad Jahangir Hossain – Team Leader (Scientist)
- Dr. Mujaddeed Ahmed, Team Leader-CDRSB
- Mr. N. M. Rabiul Awal Chowdhury, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Anthropology, Comilla University
- Mr. Fazlul Kader Chowdhury, Deputy Team Leader (Qualitative), CDRSB
- Mr. Ashim Kumar Saha, Deputy Team Leader (Program)-CDRSB
- Mr. Kabir Hossen, Research Coordinator, Shikha Intervention Project
- Ms. Sitara Sultana, Communication Officer-CDRSB
- Mr. Md. Shafkat Hossain, Monitoring & Evaluation Officer-CDRSB
- Mr. Mashukul Haque, Senior IT Officer-CDRSB
- Ms. Tahera Ahmed, Junior Statistician-CDRSB
- Mr. S. M. Radwan Hossain, Research Associate-CDRSB
- Ms. Shamima Easmin, Research Associate-CDRSB,